These pictures are authentic old history of Cedar Key, dated where possible

Click on the photo above for a bigger image and, in some cases, an expanded caption

A Thumbnail History of the Cedar Keys:

Archaeologists have classified artifacts that prove Native Americans inhabited these islands for more than 5,000 years.

The Cedar Keys include Way Key (the current city of Cedar Key, 640 acres), Seahorse Key, North Key, Depot Key (now known as Atsena Otie), Snake Key and Scale Key.

The Cedar Keys were blockaded during the Civil War, the depot burned and the rails destroyed. A battle occurred on the mainland near Number 4 Bridge.

The first cross state railroad (Atlantic to the Gulf) was completed in 1860 with the first train into Cedar Key in 1861. The last to leave was in 1932.

The Faber and Eagle pencil companies each established cedar saw mills. The Eagle Saw Mill was on Way Key and the Faber Saw Mill was on Depot Key (Atsena Otie). They were both severely damaged by the 1896 hurricane and ceased operation. Pencils were never made here. The cedar slats were shipped out by rail to their northern factories and to European pencil companies.

The oldest building in Cedar Key was established as a block house made of tabby, a building material made of water, lime, sand, oyster shells and ash. It was located at the corner of G and 4th Streets. Other buildings of tabby are the Island Hotel, the Hale Building and the Lutterloh Store.

The boom for the Cedar Keys was 1880-1890 with the population peaking in 1885 at 1,887. The population in 2004 was 819.

Here's some good Cedar Key history and info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_Key,_Florida

And here's a special story about the historic Island Hotel
from Florida Monthly Magazine, May 2008

 

Websites that Work by Journey1.net